Cedar wood fences are strong, beautiful, and popular with Wyoming property owners, so if you’re looking for the best fence for your investment you are on the right track. While there is no substitute for professional and expert installation from a Wyoming wood fence company, if you are interested in doing this project yourself SWi Fence has several tips and guidelines to ensure you install your fence properly. Following these steps will guarantee your fence stays strong for years to come.
Do Your Homework: Design and Measure
An easy way to start the process of designing your fence is to use our Instant Fence Estimator Tool. Our FREE online Fence Estimator Tool utilizes Google Maps to give you the ability to find your specific property and provides you with an aerial, birdseye view. There is a drawing tool that allows you to easily design a fence right onto the map image of your property, and you can also add gates during the design process. Just drag the fence perimeter lines onto the image and it will draw your fence where you want it. Pick your material and it will give you an estimate of how much your fence will cost.
Next, You’ll want to ensure that you have finished all of your pre-installation steps before you order your product and begin the installation of your Wyoming wood fence. Here are some very important items to keep in mind:
- Research local zoning codes and restrictions. Some cities and neighborhoods have restrictions on fencing.
- Locate underground utilities by calling 811 to submit a request. Underground utility lines will affect where your fence posts can be placed.
- In order to get accurate measurements, you need to mark and measure your yard. (You’ll want to make sure that you reference your property survey to identify the boundaries of your property and mark them clearly)
- Check for obstructions on your property that may encroach on your fence line.
- Determine the frost line in your area so that your fence posts are set at the proper depth.
- Place a stake in each corner of your yard every 8 feet. Note: Where there are sections of the yard less than 8 feet in length, panels can be cut down to size.
- Add up all your measurements and divide by 6 or 8, depending on the fence series/fence width you chose.
- Determine where you will place your gates if you are going to have any.
Superior Materials Make Superior Fences
While we highly recommend working with a top-rated Wyoming fence company to install your cedar fence, if you’re considering tackling this project on your own, we’re still here to help! To ensure that your Wyoming wood fence stands the test of time, we follow guidelines that meet or exceed industry standards. Using superior installation techniques is vitally important, but using superior materials is equally important.
Use Durable, Strong Wood
If you want the most durable wood that can withstand harsh weather conditions, then cedar is your best option. Cedar has more natural oils than other types of wood typically used in fencing and these oils slow the rate of deterioration. Cedar is also a natural insect repellant and the taste of cedar oil deters termites.
And when using cedar to build your fence, we recommend only using stainless steel screws to avoid creating black streaks in the fence and ring shank galvanized nails because they do not rust and are extremely durable.
Install Strong Posts
We prefer PostMaster Posts and recommend them for DIY projects as well. PostMaster® is a family of steel posts that are a revolutionary alternative that outperforms the typical wood posts and traditional round metal posts that are used with wood fence installations. We trust the strength and durability of PostMaster posts to give every wood fence we build a longer lifespan and a stronger foundation.
If working with good soil that is not hard or rocky, use a driver to install posts. If the project is on rocky or hard soil, dig the holes 32-36 inches and fill them with concrete that is not too dry or too wet. It should be firm enough to hold the post while you sight, but fluid enough to allow for adjustment if needed. For more tips and in-depth guidance, check out our YouTube video here.
Ready to Tackle Your Next Wyoming Wood Fence Project?
When you’re ready to take the next step and install your cedar fence, the experts at SWi Fence are here to assist you every step of the way. Whether you need expert installers to complete your job from start to finish, or you need guidance for a DIY project, we are here to help!
Our knowledgeable staff will answer your questions and assist you from planning to installation. So, if you’re ready for amazing service and assistance give us a call at (866) 754-0120 or contact us through our website. We can’t wait to work with you and show you why we are the best Wyoming fence company!